Thursday, August 21, 2008

Acknowledging the Positive

After I finished high school and prior to attending university, I entered the work force and took on a part time management certificate at technical college. I had always been interested in human behaviour and the internal world of thinking and feeling, so I had my first exposure to managerial psychology at tech which I absolutely loved. We studied transactional analysis, Maslow's heirarchy of needs, and read books such as Thomas A Harris's I'm OK – You're OK, as well as Eric Berne's Games People Play. One of the more practical lessons we were taught (and don't forget I was an impressionable 18 year old who soaked this all up and tried to apply it in my work as a manager) was the importance of positive strokes. Just so you know – strokes is another name for recognition or acknowledgement that you give to another person. It is all too easy to dwell on the negative and in fact I have only ever written one letter of complaint to a company where the service (or lack thereof) was so appalling as to be extremely rude. What I prefer to do is the opposite. Every now and then I come across exemplary service and so I write letters to businesses drawing management's attention to the person who was patient, friendly, and who went beyond the call of duty to provide excellent customer relations. I also like to send out thank you cards and/or gifts to those friends and colleagues who have given up their time to help me with a project or who offered me good advice or an ear when I needed it. I have been so busy the last few months that some of these less-urgent letters have accumulated on my TO DO LIST. Well, I am happy to report that I dedicated an entire afternoon to writing them today and they are now in the post. Positive recognition creates a win/win situation – everyone feels good. It is SO important to be grateful for good fortune, good health, good experiences and the good people out there who help us on our way.


No comments: