Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Grand Dame

A few weeks ago I had the good fortune to watch an Enough Rope interview between host Andrew Denton and fabulous British character actress Miriam Margoyles, who is best known for playing Professor Sprout in the Harry Potter movies. I've been a fan of hers for a long time, having seen her feature film and on television in Baz Lurhmann's Romeo and Juliet (the nurse), Vanity Fair (Miss Crawley), and for her voice over work on Babe and Happy Feet. She is also said to have been the first person to use the word "F#$%" on British television (I am not a prude about swearing; I am just aware that there maybe youngsters reading this blog!). Anyway, I must categorically state that this was probably the best interview I have ever seen – Andrew Denton didn't need to say much at all. He merely prompted and then let her take over. She was articulate, she was hilarious, she was poignant, she was completely emotionally honest and she was profoundly brilliant. I've found some of the clips on YouTube. Go and take a look for yourself and check out the related videos (there are several parts to the interview including one saucy one listed there) and beware if you have tender sensibilities because she reveals much of what other people would not dare to acknowledge to themselves let alone to a huge viewing public. Miriam ... I give you a standing ovation!


No comments: