Thursday, June 12, 2008

Winter Mornings

I do not have a fondness for winter mornings. Despite the fact that I am an 'A' (see my 1 May 2008 post on Circadian Rhythms) it's difficult to get up to cold dank dark weather because like many Australians – warmth and water are my thing. However, this morning was different. The sunrise was orange and pink and gorgeous. I traipsed the farm in my gumboots, sinking into ankle deep mud in places – a side effect from the heavy rainfalls we've had over the last couple of weeks. I walked to the top of the hill and looked across a large vista of mist in the pastures below and just made out the silhouettes of horses and cattle. Around me were the shadowy frames of deciduous trees still clinging to some lone yellowing leaves. Two peregrine falcons screeched from their perch on a gum tree – new neighbours I believe – they've been here for about a fortnight and I think they're going to stay. A flock of ibis flew overhead in formation and I heard the call of black cockatoos again which means more rain. All in all it was a wondrous morning. Sometimes it's good to find a bit of stillness and appreciate the natural world.

No comments: