Sunday, May 18, 2008

Little Wonders

Sometimes while I'm driving, a song that really grabs me starts playing on the radio. Inevitably, if it's one I haven't heard before I patiently wait till the end (or even a couple of songs further in) for the announcer to tell me who the singer or the band is and the title of the song. Unfortunately, I could be waiting forever because there appears to be a new practice at least amongst Sydney radio stations to keep you in suspense and, in equal measures, to keep you guessing and frustrated simply because it is more lucrative for the radio station to have listeners sms their song title request in so they can get the playlist in return. 

I recently had such an experience with a song that stirred my soul and left me wiping tears from my eyes. After hearing it half a dozen times and believing rather naively that perhaps one generous radio jock will let slip the title, I was forced to go elsewhere for my answer. That place was the Internet – you just have to Google a line from the song – in my case "these small hours" and the word "lyrics" and the singer's name if you know it (thank goodness I recognised the voice of "Rob Thomas" of Matchbox 20 because I have one of his solo albums). Voila – I finally had my answer. Seems like I was not alone in my request. Many other people had been asking the same question and had also been moved by the sheer simplicity and sincerity of Rob Thomas's interpretation. The song by the way is called 'Little Wonders' and here is the first verse and chorus (words and music by Rob Thomas):

Let it go
Let it roll right off your shoulder
Don't you know the hardest part is over
Let it in
Let your clarity define you
In the end we will only just remember how it feels

All lives are made
In these small hours
These little wonders
These twists and turns of fate
Time falls away
But these small hours
These small hours
Still remain

It's a funny thing about lyrics. If you know the melody they resonate with a greater energy. If you don't, you need to read them as you do poetry. Either way, these lyrics work for me and my next mission will be to track down and  buy the CD. If you don't know this song, then I encourage you oh mighty readers to check it out and tell me what you think.

No comments: